In my previous post in Part 1, I introduced what is performance, inside-out performance vs outside-in, the 3 startling observations on performers, what hinders high performance and the nature of interference (external and internal). If we can identify and remove our internal interferences, we would release the brake and boost our performance.
In this post, I would continue by introducing the 3 vital elements for high performance. Again, I would like to give credit to Alan Fine for his work on this. I highly recommend his book, You Already Know How To Be Great: A Simple Way To Remove Interference and Unlock Your Greatest Potential.
Alan Fine suggested knowledge alone is not enough to drive breakthrough performance. He laid out three key elements that is vital ie. the Three F’s: Faith, Fire and Focus.
Faith represents your confidence, beliefs – in yourself and your team. It is faith in your own abilities, skills, and how confident are you in what you do.
When your Faith is high, you have a deep and solid confidence in yourself and you believe that you will succeed – your confidence level is higher than the perceived challenges you will face.
When your Faith level is low, you have self-limiting beliefs (eg. fears) that would undermine your ability to succeed.
Your beliefs will determine your actions which will determine your results.
Fire represents your desire that fuels high performance. It’s also hunger, energy, enthusiasm, passion and purpose.
When your Fire is high, you have a high sense of purpose (why you do what you do) to succeed. Your energy and enthusiasm will be high to drive you towards your highest goals. People would see the “fire in your eyes”, your grit and determination to succeed.
When your Fire is low, you would become discouraged easily and lose your sense of purpose. Your energy level would drop, you may even quit.
Focus is what you direct your focus and attention to, and how you pay attention to what creates the biggest impact.
The nature of a focused mind is a quiet mind, when you have a sense of “effortlessness” in meeting challenges, and you feel that you’re “in the Zone” when performing.
When your Focus is high, there are little or no distracting thoughts in your mind. You are not worried about the future, nor regret the past – you are in the “here and now” moment and challenging tasks would appear to be effortless.
When your Focus level is low, you become easily distracted, and there are a lot of things cluttering your mind. You don’t know what and how to direct your strongest resources to create big impact.
High Performance – When All 3 Elements Are High
You need all 3 elements to perform at your highest level. What happens when one of the elements are not present during performance?
1) High Faith, High Fire, Low Focus – You have high confidence and belief in your abilities and have a high desire and energy, but your performance will be inconsistent and your energy is diffused, because you do not know what and how to focus on the most important tasks.
2) High Faith, High Focus, Low Fire – Although your confidence is high and you’re sharp in what you do, you would appear to be indifferent. You do not care much about the projects you work on, and you lack the commitment and enthusiasm to go the extra mile to succeed.
3) High Focus, High Fire, Low Faith – You are focused and have the drive to succeed, but you would seem to have lots of self-doubt, fears and may appear to be insecure.
You perform at your peak when all 3 elements ie. Faith, Fire and Focus are high.HIGH PERFORMANCE = FAITH + FIRE + FOCUS Click To Tweet
The good news is that all 3 elements are innate, that is, you already have them within you. When you remove the interference in each of them, you can rekindle your Fire, renew your Faith and recreate your Focus.
We often have blindspots in one or more of the areas, and a coach can help to raise our self-awareness and identify our biggest interference. Once the handbrake is released, we are free to perform at our highest potential.
The fastest way to peak performance is to hire a performance coach to help you. Or you can start helping yourself by asking the questions below.
1) How would you rate your level in Faith, Fire and Focus (1 – 10)?
2) If your performance is hindered, are you in the low Faith, low Fire or low Focus category?
3) What is your biggest interference?
4) What can you do to “release the handbrake”?
I wish you great success and happy performing at your highest level.