Yesterday’s post was the first part of The GROW Model where I focused on goal-setting. Today, we are going to look at the next step of the model.
R stands for Reality. Now that you’ve identified (from Part 1) what is it that you really want and the ideal situation, lets compare it with the current reality.
From the scale of 1 (worst case) to 10 (your ideal situation/your goal), where would you put yourself? Where are you at this moment? Why do you give yourself that number? Describe your current situation in more detail.
Notice that you have identified your goal (what you want) before exploring on Reality. It’s designed this way for a good reason. Choosing your ideal goal first frees you from the constraints that you might put on yourself from what is going on in your life. You are free to explore your unlimited potential. If the first stage (G) gives you wings to dream, this second stage (R) brings you down to earth and assess your life right now as it is. That way, you’ll know how big the chasm between where you are right now (reality) and where you want to go (goal), which will later help you build the bridge to cross that chasm.
It’s also useful to ask these coaching questions when looking at your Reality:
1) What have you done so far?
2) What has held you back since then?
3) What has been the effect of your actions?
4) What has been working so far? What has not been working?
5) What resources do you already have right now that will help you? What else do you need?
6) What skills do you already possess that will help you attain your goal? What else do you need to know?
7) Who do you know can help you get where you want to go?
Spending some time on the questions above will give you a clear indicator of where you are on the journey to your goal. The next post will walk you through on exploring your Options.
This post is part of the series: